You have to create your own username and password that does not necessarily need to be the same as your OneTech/Blackboard username.
Please click here to read the Blackboard IM User Guide.
Creating a Blackboard IM Account
Use one of these three methods to create a Blackboard IM account:
- Through a Course Management System: Navigate to any Blackboard IM link in your institution's Course Management System (CMS). For complete instructions, refer to Locating a Blackboard IM Link in Your Course Management System.
- By Invitation: Follow the instructions and click the link in an email invitation from Blackboard Collaborate, your institution, or another Blackboard IM user (such as an instructor or classmate).
- With a Registration Code: Go to the Blackboard IM Registration page and enter a unique registration code from your institution along with your last name (surname) as it appears in your institution's systems.
Each of these methods leads to the Blackboard IM registration page. Follow the steps below to fill out the form.
To Create a Blackboard IM Account:
- Create your Blackboard IM ID. In Blackboard IM, you are identified by your full name, as it appears in your institution's systems. Your Blackboard IM ID is used for logging in, managing your account, and allowing users who are not in your classes to contact you. This ID is unique and does not need to match your institution's systems. If you are associated with two or more institutions that use Blackboard IM, you can use the same Blackboard IM ID for both (refer to Linking Accounts for instructions).
- Email. Each Blackboard IM ID must be associated with a unique email address.
- Password. Enter a password that is memorable, but difficult to guess.
- Security Question. Choose a security question from the list and provide the answer. In the event that you cannot remember your password, this question would be used for password recovery.
- Click Submit.
Once you have created your Blackboard IM ID, you can install Blackboard IM on your computer. For complete details, refer to Downloading and Installing Blackboard IM.
Note: Unlike in other instant collaboration solutions, in Blackboard IM, you are identified by your full name, as it appears in your institution's systems. There is also a Blackboard IM ID associated with your account, which is used for logging in, managing your account, and allowing users who are not in your classes to contact you.