The iPad Edition of "LockDown Browser" (available from iTunes) enables a student to use an iPad to take exams that require LockDown Browser. However, the instructor must first select a setting that permits the use of iPads for the exam.
Setting an exam to allow students to use the iPad Edition of LockDown Browser
An instructor should follow these steps to allow students to access an exam with the iPad Edition of LockDown Browser:
- Login to the online course using an instructor account.
- Select the Respondus LockDown Browser tool (dashboard) and select "Modify Settings" for the exam.
- Select "Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam".
- Expand "[+] Advanced Settings" and select "Allow students to take this exam with an iPad".
- Save the settings.
Using the iPad Edition of LockDown Browser
A student should follow these steps to take an exam with the iPad Edition of LockDown Browser:
- Download and install the "LockDown Browser" app from Apple iTunes to the iPad. (Requires iOS 6 or higher.)
- Enable iPad's "Guided Access" by selecting iPad > Settings > General > Accessibility > Guided Access. Turn on Guided Access and set a passcode (you need to remember this passcode to exit Guided Access after an exam). The setup for Guided Access only needs to be done once.
- Start the LockDown Browser app.
- The first time the app is used, you will be prompted to select your institution and server. (If you later need to change the institution or server, select the settings icon on the LockDown Browser toolbar.)
- Triple-press the iPad home button to start Guided Access and enter LockDown Browser.
- After completing the exam, triple-press the home button and enter the passcode to exit Guided Access.
- Press the Home button again to return to the Home page.