The minimum computer hardware and software requirements for taking a course online using Blackboard Learn are as follows:
In order to achieve the best experience, and chance at success, in courses delivered online using the Blackboard Learn Course Management System, a fairly new (<5yrs old) PC/MAC/Linux system is highly recommended. This should satisfy any hardware requirements.
- Linux systems need to be thoroughly tested for compatibility.
An Internet connection is required.
- A high-speed DSL/Cable/Lan Internet connection is recommended with Blackboard Learn.
- Satellite Internet, Cellular WiFi Internet, and Cellular Air Cards (3G/4G) are discouraged. While they may appear successful, they are not recommended, especially for taking quizzes and exams.
- Dial Up connectivity is highly discouraged.
- WiFi router connections are also not recommended for taking quizzes and exams. Your best chance for success is with a hard-wired Internet connection.
Blackboard Learn supports five primary browsers for Learn releases. For updated information on Supported Browsers, please go to: https://en-us.help.blackboard.com/Learn/Administrator/Hosting/Browser_Support#Supported_browsers
- Best Practice Tip: Chrome and Firefox seem to offer the best experience.
A variety of devices and operating systems were used to test the supported browsers. Support is not limited to these specific operating systems. The desktop browser versions above are supported regardless of the particular device or operating system on which they run
Operating Systems Used in Testing:
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 10
- Mac OS 10.8-10.11
Chrome OS Tested Device:
- Chromebook (Chrome browser; features requiring NPAPI plug-ins are not supported)
- Operating Systems Used in Testing:
- With the use of mobile devices, the Bb Student app is available to access Blackboard Learn. It is best used only for monitoring a course. It is not recommended to attempt to submit assignments, quizzes, or exams from a mobile device or app (even if the app says you can).
- For information on the Accessibility Features available with Blackboard Learn, please go to: https://en-us.help.blackboard.com/Learn/Student/Accessibility/000_Accessibility_Features
Additional Software Considerations
- E-Mail client such as Microsoft Office 365 (provided in OneTech) or Outlook
- Microsoft Office 2003, 2007, 2010, or 2013 may be required by instructor - see course syllabus. (Microsoft WORKS is NOT compatible.) Office 365 is available free.
- Current Version of Adobe Flash Player.
- Current Version of Adobe Reader.
- Current Version of Microsoft Silverlight.
- RealPlayer 10+ audio/video player. Detailed information on RealPlayer may be obtained here.
- Windows Media Player (Version 11+).
- Java (Version 1.7+).
- Antivirus and Malware protection is highly recommended.
- Firewalls may need to be turned off or adjusted to receive files and run certain programs.
Technologies NOT Supported
- Window XP, Vista
- Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Firefox 1.x, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 3.6
- Safari 2, 3, 4, 5 (or any version on Windows)
- Mac OSX through 10.7
- JRE 5 (6 not recommended)