An Overview of Google Docs:
Google Docs is a suite of products that lets you create different kinds of documents, work on them in real time with other people, and store your documents and your other files -- all online, and all for free. With an Internet connection, you can access your documents and files from any computer, anywhere in the world. (There is even some work you can do without an Internet connection!)
This guide will give you a quick overview of the many things that you can do in Google Docs. If you would like more information about a Google Docs feature, sharing and collaborating, or managing your files, visit our Google Docs Help Center.
Here is What You Can Do in Your Documents List:
- Create Google documents, spreadsheets, other file types, and collections.
- Upload (from your computer, if you'd like), manage, and store files and folders.
- Share Google Docs, files, and collections.
- Preview your docs and files before you open or share them.
- View images and videos that you have uploaded to your Documents List.
- Search for items by name, type, and visibility setting.
Here is What You Can Do with Documents:
- Convert most file types to Google Docs format.
- Add flair and format your documents, with options such as paint format, margins, spacing, and fonts.
- Invite other people to collaborate on a doc with you, giving them edit, comment or view access.
- Collaborate online in real time and chat with other collaborators.
- View your documents' revision history and roll back to any version.
- Download Google Docs to your desktop as Word, OpenOffice, RTF, PDF, HTML or zip files.
- Translate a document to a different language.
- Email your documents to other people as attachments.
To learn more about Google documents, check out the Google documents getting started guide.
Here is What You Can Do with Spreadsheets:
- Import and convert .xls, .csv, .txt and .ods formatted data.
- Export .xls, .csv, .txt and .ods formatted data and PDF and HTML files.
- Use formatting and formula editing so you can calculate results and make your data look the way you'd like.
- Chat in real time with others who are editing your spreadsheet.
- Create charts and gadgets.
- Embed a spreadsheet, or individual sheets of your spreadsheet, in your blog or website.
For more information about Google spreadsheets, check out the Google spreadsheets getting started guide.
Here is What You Can Do with Presentations:
- Share and edit presentations with your friends and coworkers.
- Import and convert existing presentations in .ppt and .pps file types.
- Download your presentations as a PDF, a PPT, or a .txt file.
- Insert images and videos, and format your slides.
- Allow real-time viewing of presentations, online, from separate remote locations.
- Publish and embed your presentations in a website, allowing access to a wide audience.
For more information about Google presentations, check out the Google presentations getting started guide.
Here is What You Can Do with Drawings:
- Share and edit drawings with your friends and coworkers.
- Download your presentations as a PNG, JPEG, SVG, or PDF file.
- Insert images, shapes, and lines, and format them to fit your preferences.
- Real-time collaboration with other people, no matter where they are.
- Insert a drawing into a document, spreadsheet, or presentation.
For more information about Google drawings, check out the Google drawings getting started guide.