Blackboard developers recommend hardware that will run these supported technologies
Date Published: November 2014
Version: Learn 9.1 October 2014
Blackboard™ Learn Release 9.1 was tested with a variety of platform technologies as well as common client-side technologies.
- Supported: Supported by the vendor and Blackboard.
- Unsupported: Unsupported by the vendor or not supported by Blackboard.
Windows Operating System
|IE 11||IE 10||IE 9||Firefox ESR||Firefox (Final Release Channel)||Chrome (Stable Channel)|
|Windows Vista (32-bit)||Unsupported by Microsoft||Unsupported by Microsoft||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported|
|Windows Vista (64-bit)||Unsupported by Microsoft||Unsupported by Microsoft||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported|
|Windows 7 (32-bit)||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported|
|Windows 7 (64-bit)||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported|
|Windows 8 (32-bit)||Supported||Unsupported by Microsoft||Unsupported by Microsoft||Supported||Supported||Supported|
|Windows 8 (64-bit)||Supported||Unsupported by Microsoft||Unsupported by Microsoft||Supported||Supported||Supported|
Mac OSX Operating System
|Safari 8||Safari 7||Safari 6||Firefox ESR||Firefox (Final Release Channel)||Chrome (Stable Channel)|
|Mac OSX 10.7||Unsupported by Apple||Unsupported by Apple||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported|
|Mac OSX 10.8||Unsupported by Apple||Unsupported by Apple||Supported||Supported||Supported||Supported|
|Mac OSX 10.9||Unsupported by Apple||Supported||Unsupported by Apple||Supported||Supported||Supported|
|Mac OSX 10.10||Supported||Unsupported by Apple||Unsupported by Apple||Supported||Supported||Supported|
- Internet Explorer is only supported in Standards Mode.
- Blackboard strives to make all its products as accessible as possible. JAWS 14 and 15 were used during accessibility testing of Learn 9.1 October 2014.
- Chrome support: due to the auto-update feature of Chrome, support is based on the version available at the time of testing. Learn 9.1 October 2014 was tested with Chrome 34.
- Firefox support: due to the auto-update feature of Firefox, support is based on the version available at the time of testing. Learn 9.1 October 2014 was tested with Firefox versions 32 and 31 (ESR).
- Note on OSX 10.8+ Java is no longer shipped as part of the OS install and must be downloaded and installed by users on request of application/applet - this is a one time action on the part of the user.
Client Technology Highlights of Changes from Previous Releases
- OSX 10.10/Safari 8 support added.
Technologies NOT supported
- Window XP
- Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8
- Firefox 1.x, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 3.6
- Safari 2, 3, 4, 5 (or any version on Windows)
- Mac OSX through 10.6
- JRE 5
Needed to be thoroughly tested for compatibility.
E-Mail client such as Microsoft Office 365 (provided in OneTech) or Outlook
Microsoft Office 2003, 2007, or 2010 may be required by instructor - see course syllabus
(Microsoft WORKS is NOT compatible)
Current Version of Adobe Flash Player
Current Version of Adobe Reader
Current Version of Microsoft Silverlight
RealPlayer 10+ audio/video player
Windows Media Player 11+
Java Version 1.7+
Antivirus and Malware protection is highly recommended
Firewalls may need to be turned off or adjusted to receive files and run certain programs.