Using the “VMware Horizon Client”, you can access programs remotely. Although the programs are running on a remote computer, the virtual applications behave as if they are running on your local computer. Each remote application (i.e. SPSS, SAS, or StataIC) has its own entry in the taskbar. You have the capability to resize, minimize, and/or maximize the program window.
Downloading and Installing the VMware Horizon Client
NOTE: If the VMware Horizon Client is already installed on your computer, skip to Step 10 under “Accessing Remote Applications Using the Horizon Client”
- Navigate to https://vdesktops.atu.edu using any browser of your choosing (i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc.)
- Click the “Download the Horizon Client for Windows” link at the bottom of your screen.
- You will be re-directed to VMware’s landing page for downloads. From here, click the dropdown arrow next to “VMware Horizon Client for Windows”. Click the “Go to Downloads” button as shown in the example below. The link will redirect you to the latest application build for Windows.
- After you are redirected, click the “Download” button to download the latest VMware Horizon Client for Windows. A dialog box will appear. Choose a destination folder to save this installer and click “Save”.
- Navigate to the location where you saved the installer. Double click on the installer to launch the Horizon Client wizard.
- A “User Access Control” dialog box may appear. Click “Yes” to launch the application.
- Before installing the product, you must agree to the terms and conditions. Click “Agree & Install” to proceed to the wizard.
- VMware will install the necessary components for the Horizon Client. This may take a few minutes.
- Once completed, you should see the following dialog box stating that a restart is required for changes to take effect. Click “Restart Now” to restart your computer OR if you have applications open, click “Restart Later.” Close out of all of your applications and restart your computer